IDLI SAMBAR RECIPE IN SOUTH INDIAN STYLE
April 7, 2020
Idli are incomplete without chutney or sambar, and ideally, idli sambar combination is common for morning breakfast. There are many ways to make the sambar but this post resembles the south indian version of it.
In this recipe, I have added vegetables like brinjal, drumstick, beans, potatoes and small onions.
I would like to add few tips and suggestions to make a perfect and flavoured idli sambar recipe. You can use store-bought sambar masala powder to increase the tatse.
Idli Sambar Recipe
PREP TIME:10 MINUTES
COOK TIME:30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME:40 MINUTES
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp methi
- pinch of hing(asafoetida)
- few curry leaves
- 4 small sized onion, chopped finely
- 2 red chilli
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ carrot, chopped
- 5 beans, chopped
- 5 pieces drumstick, medium sized
- ½ brinjal, cubed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt or add to taste
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup tamarind extract
- 1 cup toor dal, boiled
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
HOW TO MAKE SAMBAR
13 easy steps to make tasty South Indian style Sambar:-
- Firstly in a large kadai, heat 2 tsp oil and add spices.
- Once there is crackling sounds then add onions and saute it for a minute till it changes colour.
- Now add tomato and continue to cook it.
- Further add all vegetables and saute them for 2 minutes.
- Now, add ¼ tsp turmeric, according to taste salt and 1 cup water.
- Mix it well, then cover it and boil for approximately 10 minutes at medium flame.
- Now add ¾ cup tamarind extract and mix it well also.
- Add 1 cup toor dal and water, then mix it.
- Cover the pan and boil it for next 10 minutes.
- Finally, add 4 tsp of sambar masala powder(either home-made or store-bought).
- Boil it for a minute at medium flame until and unless all flavours get well absorbed.
- Add 2 tbsp coriander leaves for garnish.
- Enjoy sambar with hot steamed idli.
- Add vegetables of your own choice to make it more tastier and healthier.
- Also add tamarind extract after when vegetables are almost cooked.
- You can add curry leaves also for garnish.
- Rava idli also gives a better taste. But rice idli is traditionally used.
For further queries visit:- Strange Mind