Best vacation with family in Harshil Village
June 24, 2020
The “Valley of Dreams”
Harshil is a beautiful valley and is a Cantt area. It is the best place for a vacation with family. It lies on the banks of the Bhagirathi River. The valley is on its way to a Hindu patriotic Dham, one from 4 dhams, Gangotri. It has its charm that attracts many visitors every year.
It is situated at an altitude of 7,860 ft (2,620 meters) in the Uttarkashi district of the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The village is located 73 kilometers from the Uttarkashi district headquarters.
This covers an area of 1,553 square km. Harsil is one of Uttarakhand’s best-known destinations. It is also a treasure preserved by nature, unaware of the effects of being a popular tourist destination. Heavenly places like this deserve to stay this way forever. And as the best vacation with family, it could give you wonderful experience.
- Location: Uttarkashi
- Best Time to Visit: Apr-Oct
- Duration: 2 days
- Railway Station: Dehradun
- Nearby Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
History of the Harsil Valley:
The wonderfully beautiful valley became popular with the legend Pahari Wilson or Raja Wilson. Wilson left the British army after the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857.
Wilson fled from the Garhwal district to the king of Tehri for shelter. But the King refused to protect him. Wilson then ran to the mountains to hide. But Wilson’s fate brought him to this valley on the banks of the Bhagirathi River.
Some historians say that the timber trade in Harshil made Wilson so prosperous and powerful to the people that even the local king Tehri-Garhwal could not cope.
Things to do:
• Surrounded by beautiful valleys, towering green mussels, the well-preserved Harshil valley is still largely unknown to many.
• This valley offers views of the magnificent Himalayan Mountains and beautiful countryside engaging in many fun activities such as:
- and Sight Seeing
• The Bhagirathi River serves as the ideal partner for the village in which it lies, and one can visit the neighboring Gangotri district during the trip to Harsil.
Sat Tal, with seven lakes, is also located near this valley.
Places to Visit in Harsil:
• It is located about 6 km from the Harsil (or Harshil) valley.
• This area is well connected to Harsil by road. The village of Dharali is situated at an altitude of 648 meters above sea level and falls to Rajashi tehsil.
- A Hindu goddess Gangotri was loved to sit here in winter due to heavy snowfall in the Gangotri region.
- Believers from all parts of the state and country visit.
- During the monsoon season, the area receives heavy snowfall and is not the best time to visit.
- Sat Tal is a collection of seven natural lakes near Dharali.
- The 3 km trip from Dharali to Sat Tal will be an unforgettable trip.
- Some Sattal lakes are dry because of deforestation and climate change.
Harshil Valley Road (From Delhi):
Delhi ——> Haridwar ——> Uttarkashi ——> Harsil
Best Time to Visit Harsil:
The climate of the valley remains pleasant throughout the year. The best time to visit the Harshil valley for a vacation with family starts in April and the weather remains pleasant until July.
One can also visit Harshil during the months of September to November. During these months the weather remains mild with a breeze.
The winter months run from October until January, Harshil gets a good amount of snow. And then February will bring some nice weather.
In winter the region attains a large amount of snowfall, making it a great place for snow lovers.
• The Harsil Valley receives a number of snowfall over the winter. Between the months of December and February, the valley remains covered with a broad ice sheet.
• In these months, the temperature in Harshil ranges from 0 to 10 Degree Celsius. However, by the end of February, the weather is starting to be calm and pleasant.
• We recommend inquiring about road conditions in advance and packing your bags in wool blankets before visiting Harshil during Winters.
Few Facts About Harshil:
• Harsil apples are very popular in all conditions. They have a rich flavor, one can easily identify.
• Their demands are much higher than necessary but the valley can produce only a limited number of apples and kidney beans.
• Harshil was also a popular tourist destination in 1980. It was the shooting scene of the popular Bollywood film “Ram Teri Ganga Maili”.
• In the 80’s it was more popular than it is now. Today only a few thousand visitors visit in a year.
• Because of the beautiful landscapes, some people Harshil as “Indian Mini Switzerland”.
• It is on the way to Gangotri, a popular travel site. One can stop in the valley while on their way to Gangotri.
How to access Harsil:
Jolly Grant Airport is the closest airport to the village. It is located at a distance of 232 km. Harshil is connected by free roadways to Jolly Grant Airport. Taxis are available in Uttarkashi, Tehri, and Harsil.
The closest train station is Rishikesh, 215 kilometers from Harsil. Taxis and buses are available from Rishikesh to Uttarkashi, Tehri and Harsil.
The valley is well connected by the highways of Uttarakhand. Buses and taxis to the valley are easily accessible in all the major cities of Uttarakhand. Harsil lies on NH-108. Buses and taxis from ISBT, Dehradun are also available. Harsil is located 280 kilometers from Dehradun via NH34.